"It's just a fantasy, it's not the real thing"
- Chris Antonetti has slowly but surely assumed Mark Shapiro’s GM duties over the last few years, and today he assumed the highly coveted duty of meeting with the media in the home dugout to discuss anything and everything while saying virtually nothing.
- Antonetti said he officially becomes GM on Nov. 1. For all intents and purposes, though, the handoff technically took place after the July Trade Deadline (those are my words, not Antonetti’s).
- At this point, Antonetti and the Indians are assessing the team, position by position, to get a feel for what areas will need to be augmented in the offseason. Not sure how much augmenting the team can really afford, particularly considering the Indians are dead last in MLB in average attendance. Then again, with a bare bones payroll, there could be room in the budget for some upgrades.
- The most high-profile September callup, in terms of potential impact, will be Carlos Carrasco, who will, of course, join the rotation. Carrasco allowed four runs on seven hits in 7 2/3 innings against Toledo on Sunday and is 1-1 with a 2.18 ERA over his last three starts. He is 10-6 with a 3.77 ERA in 24 starts this season.
- Zach McAllister, acquired as the player to be named from the Austin Kearns trade, could also get a call. For now, he’s making his organizational debut at Columbus tonight.
- Aaron Laffey’s rehab assignment has been transferred to Columbus. He should be back soon. Not sure if we’re going to see Anthony Reyes, whose rehab has been put on hold because of some mechanical issues in his delivery.
- Antonetti did not confirm a report that Jared Goedert won’t get a September callup, but he didn’t deny it, either. Goedert has cooled off considerably at the plate, and the Indians feel he has a long way to go, defensively. They’re not going to promote guys simply for the sake of promoting them. They’ll only do so if they feel there are real at-bats and innings to be had up here. For now, the Tribe is going to keep running that three-headed, error-prone monster known as “Nimartuena” out there at third base and hope for the best.
- Firmly expecting @Nimartuena to become a Twitter account in 3… 2… 1…
- Yes, fake Tribe Twitter accounts are all the rage in this lost season. They certainly break up some of the monotony of the dog days of August. But there’s a real account to follow, and it belongs to closer Chris Perez (@ChrisPerez54). Perez told me he hopes @PureRage_Perez, the fake Chris Perez, doesn’t go away. “That guy’s funny,” Perez said. “I read him every day. He posts something every five minutes. I only post like one thing a day.”
- Speaking of the Twitter realm, somebody was inspired enough by my last blog post to create my alter ego, @caskranowich. So far, I’m enjoying the… tribute? That is, until @caskranowich has more followers than @castrovince, and my ego is permanently bruised.
- In case you missed the latest Indians Inbox, it’s posted here.