6/8: Indians vs. Red Sox
By Anthony Castrovince/MLB.com
Tonight’s 7:05 p.m. ET game at Progressive Field is on WTAM and STO.
INDIANS (21-35): CF Crowe, RF Choo, LF Kearns, 3B Peralta, 1B Branyan, DH Duncan, 2B Valbuena, C Marson, SS Donald. LHP David Huff (2-6, 6.08).
RED SOX (34-25): SS Scutaro, 2B Pedroia, C Martinez, 1B Youkilis, DH Ortiz, 3B Beltre, LF Hall, CF Cameron, RF McDonald. RHP Tim Wakefield (1-4, 6.02).
EXCRUCIATING MINUTIAE OF THE DAY…
- Pleased to announce that associate reporter John Barone is on board, hoping to follow in the big footsteps left behind by past interns David “Young Zeus” Briggs and Andrew “The Scribble” Gribble. We’ll have to work on getting Barone a nickname, but for now you can expect to see his byline plenty on Indians.com for the remainder of the season.
- In fact, you can check the site later tonight for Barone’s full roundup of all the Tribe’s Day 2 Draft picks. The team has already refuted a report that it had agreed to terms with No. 2 pick LeVon Washington (when they negotiate, they must heed Elton John’s warning that “LeVon likes his money”).
- Spoke with top pick Drew Pomeranz today. Here’s the full story.
- Nice to see the Tribe pick up local product Alex Lavisky, a catcher from St. Ed’s. Then again, the last time the Indians drafted a local catcher, it was the immortal Chris Bando.
- Asdrubal Cabrera was in the clubhouse after batting practice today. His broken left forearm remains in a cast, but he said he began moving the arm around, doing various exercises, three days ago. He’s three weeks into his eight- to 10-week stay on the DL and, as you might expect, he misses being out there every night. I asked him if he’s watched the replay of his May 17 collision with Jhonny Peralta, and he said he has. “It’s really tough to watch,” he said, “but that happens.”
- Nice to see Victor Martinez, obviously, but it’s also nice to see his son, Victor Jose. The 5-year-old boy was in full Red Sox uniform this afternoon, including batting gloves and wrapped wrists, as he took batting practice at Progressive Field. He’s a natural, lining shots to both sides of the infield. He also has an exact replica of his daddy’s stance. Little Vic, though, only bats from the right-hand side. For now.
- Working on a feature on Martinez and his host family, Bob and Patty Bixler, from his days at Class A Mahoning Valley. He’s actually staying with them at their home near Warren this week. You can look for that on MLB.com and Indians.com on Thursday.
- The Indians only had one at-bat with a runner in scoring position in Monday’s loss.