Off day minutia
Easing the blog back into action after a weekend off (and an eventful series in Chi-town, for all the wrong reasons), here are a few pieces of excruciating minutia for you…
- The “Eric Wedge on the hot seat” chatter has reached new levels with the Tribe possessing the worst record in the AL and in the midst of a six-game losing streak. It appears slightly overplayed, as the Indians are not believed to be on the verge of making such a move at the moment. A decision on Wedge’s future is more likely to be made at season’s end.
- Apparently there was some confusion over the weekend when a reporter asked owner Larry Dolan about a potential change and Dolan responded, “I’ll talk to you later” and “I just don’t want to lie to you.” Dolan, from what I understand, was under the impression that the topic at hand was possible trades, not Wedge’s job security.
- It’s looking likely that Grady Sizemore (sore left elbow) will be activated before or during the series in Pittsburgh this week.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (sprained left shoulder) begins a Minor League rehab assignment at Double-A Akron on Tuesday night. The rehab can last up to 20 days but will probably be a short one.
- Aaron Laffey will make his second rehab start for Akron on Tuesday night.
- The Indians signed 13th-round Draft pick Jeremy Johnson, a right-hander out of Washington State University. They have now signed 18 selections overall and 13 of their top 16. Negotiations with top pick Alex White should be underway soon, if not already, as White’s UNC team was bounced from the College World Series.
- Lastly, for those of you who make Twitter a part of your daily diet, you’ll definitely want to check out the Tribe Insider tweets, brought to you by Bart Swain and Jeff Sibel of the Tribe’s media relations department. They’re posting lineups, injury updates, roster moves, etc., so you can get the news as it happens.
More to come Tuesday from Pittsburgh.
UPDATE: My apologies for neglecting to include the Twitter link earlier. It is up there now.