Instant karma's gonna get you
If our forefathers had instant replay, we might still be living under the Articles of Confederation.
I don’t even know what that means, and I highly doubt it’s funny.
I don’t know what to think about MLB’s upcoming use of instant replay, either.
Mostly, I’d say I’m against the idea. We’ve gone over 100 years without replay. Sure, some calls have been botched, but so have some jury trials. Jeffrey Maier would be a nobody in the age of replay, whereas he’s currently a nobody who was once a 12-year-old somebody. Opening the game up to this technological advancement smells like a can of worms. Hopefully the system won’t be abused and the game won’t be slowed to a crawl, as it is in the NFL.
I’ll have a story on the Indians’ reaction to replay on the site in a little bit. In the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts. And don’t be afraid to suggest a better replay joke that can replace the one above.
Here are tonight’s lineups…
INDIANS (63-67): CF Grady Sizemore, LF Franklin Gutierrez, RF Ben Francisco, SS Jhonny Peralta, DH David Dellucci, 1B Ryan Garko, 3B Jamey Carroll, C Kelly Shoppach, 2B Asdrubal Cabrera. LHP Cliff Lee (18-2, 2.43).
TIGERS (64-67): CF Curtis Granderson, 2B Placido Polanco, RF Magglio Ordonez, 1B Miguel Cabrera, DH Gary Sheffield, LF Marcus Thames, SS Edgar Renteria, 3B Ryan Raburn, C Brandon Inge. RHP Chris Lambert (0-0, 0.00).
EXCRUCIATING MINUTIA OF THE DAY…
- Seven players from the Indians’ organization will participate in the Arizona Fall League and play for the Surprise Rafters. Thus far, six have been announced They are: 3B Wes Hodges, INF Beau Mills, INF Josh Rodriguez, LHP Chuck Lofgren, LHP Tony Sipp and RHP Erik Stiller. Lake County pitching coach Ruben Niebla will be a coach for Surprise.
- For more info on the AFL guys, check out our buddy Andrew Gribble’s Minors blog entry.
- Hodges ranks second in the Eastern League with 91 RBIs. He might have been promoted to Triple-A Buffalo by now if he didn’t still have room to grow with his glove.
- The Indians are on their first eight-game winning streak since Aug. 25-Sept. 1 of last season. They have not won nine straight since June 10-19, 2005.
- LHP Aaron Laffey struggled for Buffalo last night, allowing seven runs on 16 hits in just 5 2/3 innings to take the loss to Scranton. Laffey is now 3-1 with a 4.40 ERA in five starts since his demotion to Buffalo.
- C Carlos Santana, acquired in the July 26 trade that sent Casey Blake to the Dodgers, didn’t spend the whole season in the California League with the Dodgers’ Class A San Bernardino affiliate, but he made a strong impression. Santana was named the Cal League MVP after hitting .323 with 34 doubles, four triples, 14 homers and 96 RBIs for the 66ers.
- Ten former players whose careers began in 1942 or earlier will be considered for induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame by the Veterans’ Committee. Three of those 10 players — Wes Ferrell, Joe Gordon and Allie Reynolds — spent significant time with the Indians. The results of the vote will be announced Dec. 8 at the Winter Meetings.
- The Indians are now selling “All You Can Eat Seats” (you eat food, not the seats, wise guy) in the right field upper reserved area of Progressive Field for the 16 remaining home games. A $32 ticket includes all the hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn, nachos and Pepsi products you can handle. To take the Indians up on the offer, buy your tickets at Indians.com and use the password “EAT.”
- The Indians are also offering $25 Getgo gas cards, courtesy of Giant Eagle, for fans who purchase four lower reserved tickets for $80 or four upper box tickets at $72 for the three remaining Friday home games. For this promotion, use the password “FRIDAY.”