Off day minutia
Got a few things for you…
- According to PR guru Bart Swain, Travis Hafner took soft toss today with hitting coach Derek Shelton and tolerated it well. The latest test on Hafner’s right shoulder showed it is 75 percent as strong as his left shoulder, which is said to be an improvement. No word yet on a timetable for Hafner to progress to live BP and a rehab assignment. I’m sure we’ll have more info in Toronto tomorrow.
- The Indians have signed seventh-round Draft pick Tim Fedroff, an outfielder from the University of North Carolina. Fedroff hit .404 with 12 homers and 71 RBI this season, helping the Tar Heels advance to the College World Series.
- Among the Tribe’s remaining unsigned picks are second-round selection Curtis Haley and fifth-round pick Steven Putnam. The deadline for signing Draft picks is Aug. 15.
- Quite a few people have written in wondering how Brendan Donnelly will be eligible for free agency after this season, considering he won’t have six years of big-league service time at that point. Well, assistant GM Chris Antonetti told me Donnelly and the Indians negotiated a clause in his contract that allows him to pursue free agency after this year.
- Brett Favre has been traded to the Jets. You heard it here first. Or 972nd.
And let’s quell the speculation on Byrd, relative to Reyes’ promotion and Friday start. Byrd has not been traded — at least not yet. He’s starting Saturday in Toronto.