"Mr. Kramer would like to schedule a lunch with you at Monk's Coffee Shop."
Every year, every MLB.com reporter gets an associate to work with. “Associate,” in case you can’t tell, is a fancy word for “intern.” It’s kind of like when I worked at Wal-Mart in high school. We were referred to as “associates” when really we were just stock boys and cart-pushers.
Anyway, journalism being the competitive business it is, we’ve gotten our fair share of quality interns over the years. Except for the scrub who interned on the Indians’ site in 2004. But let’s not talk about him.
Last year, we had a winner in David “Young Zeus” Briggs, who, at 7-foot-9, holds the distinction of being one of America’s finest and tallest young sportswriters. Briggs had the engaging habit of turning in quality prose while simultaneously chewing on his press credential. It was quite a sight to behold.
This year, I have little doubt we have another fine writer in Ohio University graduate Andrew Gribble, who has started up on this homestand. He’s already been broken in nicely with yesterday’s Omar Vizquel story, and I’m sure you’ll see his byline quite often this summer on Indians.com. He’s also going to help me figure out how to package ketchup and mustard in the same bottle.
Gribble has asked that I seek your assistance in finding him a new car, as his 1999 Grand Prix spontaneously combusted on his way home from the ballpark last night. So if you have any suggestions, pass them along.
In the meantime, here are tonight’s lineups for Day 2 of the Omar . Note the rare Jorge Velandia sighting, as Wedge wanted to give Jhonny Peralta a day off his feet…
INDIANS (35-42): CF Grady Sizemore, 2B Jamey Carroll, LF Ben Francisco, DH Jhonny Peralta, 1B Ryan Garko, 3B Casey Blake, C Kelly Shoppach, RF Franklin Gutierrez, SS Jorge Velandia. LHP Jeremy Sowers (0-2, 6.57).
GIANTS (33-44): 2B Ray Durham, 3B Jose Castillo, RF Randy Winn, C Bengie Molina, CF Aaron Rowand, DH Rich Aurilia, LF Brian Horwitz, 1B John Bowker, SS Omar Vizquel. LHP Barry Zito (2-11, 6.32).
EXCRUCIATING MINUTIA OF THE DAY…
- RHP Juan Rincon, signed to a Minor League deal on Tuesday, was in the clubhouse today after throwing a bullpen session. It appears the Indians intend for Rincon to make a few appearances at Buffalo and then bring him up to help out their bullpen.
- The Indians signed two more Draft picks. RHP Matt Langwell, an 11th round selection out of Rice university, and 1B Nate Recknagel, a 19th round pick out of Michigan, are the latest to sign. The Indians have now signed 19 of their 50 selections and 14 of their top 21 picks.
- Another day, another three hits for Asdrubal Cabrera. He’s gone 3-for-4 with a run scored in three straight games down at Buffalo and is now hitting .456 with 11 runs, three doubles, a homer and five RBIs in 14 games for the Bisons.
- Class A Kinston’s All-Stars played a part in the Carolina League’s 3-1 victory over the California League. 3B Niuman Romero drew a walk and scored a run, RHP Josh Tomlin threw a shutout inning, and RHP Luis Perdomo earned the save.
- Akron LF Trevor Crowe was named the Eastern League Player of the Week after batting .464 (13-for-28) with two homers, nine runs scored and eight RBIs in six games for the Aeros.
- RHP Carlton Smith, younger brother of former first-round pick Corey Smith, was named the Carolina League pitcher of the week after going 1-0 with a 0.75 ERA in two starts for Class A Kinston. Smith is 5-4 with a 3.87 ERA in 15 outings this season.
- The Indians are once again offering a “One Day Baseball Experience” at Progressive Field on Aug. 2. Participants get to play two games on the field, must be 25 or older and must bring their own mitt and wood bat. All other equipment is provided, and Len Barker, Joe Charboneau, Kevin Rhomberg and Bob Feller will be on hand to serve as managers. For more info, call (216) 420-HITS.