One Durbin, One Scott, One Deer…
Just had lunch with my buddy Jeremy Martin, a former PR intern with the Indians. Back in ’04, Jeremy and I were sitting at a Tribe game and Chad Durbin was pitching a gem. Scott Stewart was still in the Indians’ bullpen at the time, and Jeremy and I decided it would be amazing if Durbin went eight scoreless innings, Rob Deer came out of retirement to hit a solo home run, and Stewart closed it out to get the save. The above headline would have perfectly captured the win and simultaneously made George Thorogood proud. I’m still rooting for this scenario to somehow happen.
So, I don’t know how I wasn’t assigned to write this article on the MLB.com homepage. But anyway, it’s a nice rundown of the link between “Seinfeld” and baseball. Hard to believe the last episode of “Seinfeld” — possibly the worst finale of any show ever — aired 10 years ago this week.
All right, I’m on a bit of a time crunch here today, so let’s just get right to the lineups, shall we?
INDIANS (22-20): CF Grady Sizemore, SS Jhonny Peralta, LF David Dellucci, C Victor Martinez, RF Ben Francisco, 1B Ryan Garko, 2B Asdrubal Cabrera, 3B Casey Blake, RHP Fausto Carmona. Can’t wait to watch Fausto bat. Should be entertaining.
REDS (19-23): CF Corey Patterson, SS Jerry Hairston Jr., RF Ken Griffey Jr., 2B Brandon Phillips, 1B Joey Votto, 3B Edwin Encarnacion, LF Adam Dunn, C Paul Bako, RHP Aaron Harang.
EXCRUCIATING MINUTIA OF THE DAY…
- Third-base coach Joel Skinner is away from today’s game, attending his daughter, Kate’s graduation from Grove City College. Bench coach Jeff Datz is filling in at third.
- Jake Westbrook’s rehab start with Class A Lake County is scheduled to last four innings tomorrow. The game against Lexington begins at 1:05 p.m. ET at Classic Park. Closer Joe Borowski will pitch one inning for Lake County on Monday. He will most likely make a second rehab appearance Wednesday.
- The Indians’ starting rotation sports the lowest ERA in MLB at 2.93.
- The Tribe’s team ERA over the last eight games is 1.13, while the starters’ ERA is 0.60.
- The Indians are two wins away from 8,500 all-time.
- Don’t forget about the rescheduled Hardball Classic games, taking place at Progressive Field tomorrow. Solon and St. Ed’s will play at 3:30 p.m. ET, and Hudson and Avon Lake will play at 8:30 p.m.