"You've selected… Brown Eyed Girl? If this is correct, press one now."
Tonight’s headline goes out to former Indians.com intern David Briggs, who was just watching the above “Seinfeld” episode and felt the need to text me about it. I had no other quotes on my mind to tie into today’s blog, so that’s your headline of the day. Way to go, Briggsy.
It’s an ugly day at Progressive Field. The rain is blowing around, the gates just opened and about five people strolled in, and it’s looking a bit doubtful they’ll start the game on time. Press box attendant John Krepop was just kind enough to show me the Doppler forecast, as if I have any idea what I’m looking at. I don’t like conversations about the weather, I don’t like looking at weather forecasts and I don’t like phrases like “low-pressure system” and “adiabatic process.”
Oh, but it’s Channel 3 Weather Day at the ballpark tomorrow afternoon, so… sorry if I offended anyone.
Let’s just get to the lineups, shall we? In the three minutes I’ve been writing this blog entry, the grounds crew pulled back the tarp a bit to begin drawing the base lines. So that’s a good sign.
INDIANS (20-19): CF Grady Sizemore, SS Jhonny Peralta, LF David Dellucci, C Victor Martinez, DH Travis Hafner, 1B Ryan Garko, 2B Asdrubal Cabrera, RF Ben Francisco, 3B Casey Blake. LHP C.C. Sabathia pitching.
A’s (23-17): CF Rajai Davis, 1B Mike Sweeney, LF Jack Cust, DH Frank Thomas, RF Emil Brown, SS Bobby Crosby, 3B Jack Hannahan, C Kurt Suzuki, 2B Donnie Murphy. RHP Joe Blanton on the mound.
EXCRUCIATING MINUTIA OF THE DAY…
- Total combined (listed) weight of tonight’s starting pitchers: 545 pounds.
- The six shutouts tossed by Tribe pitchers this season is a Major League-best. The Indians last led the AL in shutouts in 1996.
- Four of the six shutouts have occurred in the last seven games. How rare is that? Well, according to Elias, the last time the Indians had has many shutouts over a seven-game period was May 3-10, 1968 (also known as “The Year of the Pitcher”).
- The Indians now have the lowest starters’ ERA in MLB at 3.06. The starters have a 2.08 ERA over the last 23 games.
- As reported the other day, Shin-Soo Choo’s rehab assignment begins tonight in Triple-A Buffalo. The assignment can last a maximum of 20 days before Choo must be added to the 25-man roster or exposed to waivers (and he’ll join the club).
- The Indians are four wins away from 8,500 in their history.