"Greetings and salutations. What a beautiful day for a ball game. Let's play two!"
All right, the tarp is off the field, the Indians and Blue Jays are set to double-up, and the blog is back up and running. I’m sure you missed it.
As part of my two-day sabbatical, I was in attendance for that Cavs massacre of the Celtics on Saturday night at the Q. And every time I go to an NBA game, I’m reminded of why I go to so few. Between fire-breathing scoreboard, the obnoxious pregame announcements of the home team’s starting five and The Diff (a Q specialty), it’s all just too much for me to take. So I’m glad to be back in my element.
The players are allowed to use the pink bats and wristbands and whatnot for game one today, which is nice. In other news, Jake Westbrook will throw a simulated session tomorrow, and he’s still on target to return to the rotation later this month. Closer Joe Borowski threw a bullpen session today and is on track to be back in about a week and a half.
Here are the lineups for game one…
INDIANS (18-18): CF Grady Sizemore, 2B Jamey Carroll, LF David Dellucci, C Victor Martinez, RF Ben Francisco, DH Travis Hafner, 1B Ryan Garko, SS Asdrubal Cabrera, 3B Casey Blake. RHP Fausto Carmona on the mound.
BLUE JAYS (17-21): RF Brad Wilkerson, 2B Aaron Hill, CF Alex Rios, 3B Scott Rolen, DH Matt Stairs, 1B Lyle Overbay, SS Marco Scutaro, C Rod Barajas, LF Joe Inglett. RHP A.J. Burnett hurling.
EXCRUCIATING MINUTIA OF THE DAY…
- Cliff Lee is going for his seventh win in as many starts later today. The last Tribe pitcher to achieve that feat was Duster Mails in 1920. According to the notes, that was during Tom Hamilton’s first season in the radio booth. Hammy must have rubbed somebody wrong in the PR department to earn this abuse.
- Casey Blake has 15 RBIs in his last 15 games. His 25 RBIs are tied for seventh-most in the AL with Magglio Ordonez.
- In the three previous traditional doubleheaders played in this building, the Indians own two sweeps and one split.
- The Indians’ 3.41 ERA out of the starting rotation is the best in the league.
- Tonight’s nightcap and Wednesday’s game will air on WMMS 100.7 FM because of the conflict with the Cavaliers on WTAM 1100. It’s a Joe Tait-Hamilton battle royale. Who’s your pick?